by contributing writer Janel Piersma
Like many people, I use my refrigerator as a place to keep track of shopping lists and messages. Magnetic notepads are easy to come by, but I wanted an easy way to keep a pen handy as well. Pens just seem to disappear from the kitchen counter. Enter this easy little way to turn an old wine cork into a magnetic pen holder for the refrigerator. Best of all, it only takes a few minutes!
Wine Cork Craft: Pen Holder Refrigerator Magnet
- wine cork
- knife – a Swiss Army knife is easy to handle and is the perfect size
- ribbon or paint (optional)
- 3/4″ magnet or smaller – I found a package of 8 for $2 at the home improvement store
- hot glue gun & glue (or other strong adhesive)
- Carefully use a knife to hollow out your wine cork. Twisting the cork and the knife in opposite directions worked well for me. You’ll get a lot of bits of cork, so you might want to do this over a plate or something to catch the debris, which will make clean-up easier. Hollow out at least halfway down the wine cork. Check to make sure that it is big enough to hold your pen or pencil. If not, continue carving until it’s just the right size.
- Decorate the wine cork in whatever way you choose. Craft paint or ribbon will add a pop of color. If the wine cork holds a special memory, just leave it as it is.
- Use your preferred glue to attach a strong magnet to the back.
- Affix to your refrigerator and pop in a pen or pencil.
Other Wine Cork Crafts:
Janel Piersma is virtual assistant, diy craft blogger, mom, and “law school wife” in Virginia. She blogs about motherhood, DIY, crafts, and living on a student’s budget at Life with L & E.