If you are in Houston and can clear your schedule for a few Wednesday evenings to explore some new wine with people who know and love wine, I’ve got an event for you…
Phil’s Wine Lounge, which is downstairs at Philippe on Post Oak near the Galleria, is hosting a seven-part series with seven of Houston’s best sommeliers. Each session, a new sommelier will take the spotlight and share about a different region of wines. While they share, you get to enjoy four wines and a paired cheese board. And it is only $40 per session!
In my humble opinion, that’s a great price for exploring wines with these somms… think of all you can learn each night and all the new wines you’ll try. I LOVE this!!
Check out this schedule:
- February 6: A Trip to Austria with Fred Jones of The Pass & Provisions
- February 20: Cutting-Edge California Chardonnays with Jason Sherman of Brennan’s
- March 6: Syrah is Back with David Keck of Uchi
- March 20: Sparkling Wine—Its Non-Champagne Counterparts with Sommelier James Watkins
- April 3: Ungrafted: Wines from Deep Vines with Christian Varas of River Oaks Country Club
- April 17: Bandol: The New Uber-Hip Wines with Kelly McCloud of Fleming’s Steakhouse
- May 1: Italy Off the Beaten Path with Adele Corrigan of 13 Celsius
The series is hosted by Vanessa Trevino Boyd, resident Sommelier at Philippe and last year’s Food & Wine pick for one the top sommeliers in the country. I’ve already shared a bit about Vanessa here on VineSleuth Uncorked. She knows tons about wine and is so great about sharing her vast knowledge without being intimidating. I can only imagine that she’ll do a great job hosting these other somms, too.
Want to sign up? (I know I do). Here are the details:
WHEN: Every other Wednesday, February 6- May 1, 6-7:30 p.m.
WHERE: Phil’s Wine Lounge at Philippe/ 1800 Post Oak Blvd
COST: $40 per person, includes four wines and a cheese board.
CONTACT: Seating is limited to 15 people per event. To reserve your spot, email email@example.com.