Sheila Marie Lauzon has been making wine since 1993 and has been a member of the Wine Judges of Canada since 2001… This lady knows her stuff! Her training includes:
- 2001 the Wine Judges training
- 2011 International Sommelier Guild Level 1
- 2012 International Sommelier Guild Level 2
- I’m currently registered for Sommelier Diploma Program November 2013
- 2012 Eastern States Exposition Springfield MA
I was delighted to have the opportunity to meet her in person at an event in the Finger Lakes of New York earlier this month and thrilled when she offered to share her thoughts on 5 Wines to Enjoy…
Sheila’s Top 5 Wines to Enjoy:
One white wine under $20 and widely available in the US:
- Cathedral Cellar Chenin Blanc 2011 South Africa $14.95
Aromatic white wine with honey and floral notes. On the palate lively flavours of peach and pear finishing with a racy acidity. A flavour full wine for lighter foods or all on its own.
One red wine under $20 and widely available in the US:
- Hogue Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Genesis 2008 Under $20
This red wine has aromas of ripe black fruits, cassis and black berry. On the palate it has rich flavours and spice. Full bodied with a pleasant lingering finish.
One splurge (whatever splurge might mean to you):
- Rodney Strong 2009 Meritage Alexander Valley $55.00
This is a huge red wine with elegant aromas and flavours. Is definitely a special occasion wine. I had the opportunity to taste several of Rodney Strong’s wines at a seminar these are all WOW!! Expensive but worth every sip.
…and two others of her own choosing (these may be either easy or hard to find):
- Fabre Montmayou 2009 Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon $17.95 Argentina
This wine has lovely aromatics, with a mix of black fruit, anise and smoke on the palate it’s rich and full bodied. A well structured wine which would pair well with red meats
- Louis Bouillot Cremat de Bourgogne Rose under $20
This sparkler has all the flavours of champagne without the high price tag. Pairs with almost anything or all on its own. It has a rich creamy mouth feel.
Have you tried any of theses wines? What were your thoughts?